About Me

My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Library coordinator with an inner-west library who is passionate about information, research and public libraries.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Three Wikis reviewed - and my ideas!

I really liked the SJCPL 'subject guide' wiki. I can see that it has great use in libraries, particularly if we are to make our virtual library as user-friendly and efficient as our physical library. I really liked the way it showed the relevant call numbers for each topic, as well as listing specific titles, and showing their covers (although I think that could be a copyright issue!).

I also looked at the Wisconsin Heritage Online (WHO) Wiki - but was less impressed. I thought it was great that a wiki was developed to encourage institutions and people in the Wisconsin area to digitise their collections and add them to the Online portal. However, I immediately saw the possibility of linking famous people or places in the area within the wiki so that the public could get an idea of the benefits of having an online heritage portal and cannot understand why this hasn't been developed. I also was unable find the link to 'collections' as the Learning 2.0 blog instructed. I did click on the online heritage portal, and searched the collection, but this was more like a catalogue than a wiki, it just showed the digital item with basic metadata, rather than allowing the user to find in depth information through links between the items. E.g. a basic search resulted in an article on Women's Suffrage in Wisconsin in the 19th Century. I would have like to have seen links to other articles about the women or places or dates relevant to this subject, rather than just a copy of the article with the author, title and publication details.

I then compared the WHO wiki with the 'mint museums' wiki. I found the mintwiki to be more what I was expecting from the WHO wiki - links to articles on current, past and future exhibitions, with the ability to print out PDF's to take with you to the museum. I would have like to have seen a history of the mint museum on the wiki, or information about its location and opening hours there too, but at least they offered the link to the library webpage where I presume you could find out this information. I suppose it is important to remember that wikis can be updated and revised at any time, so these criticisms may not be relevant as soon as I've posted this!

I have found this exercise of searching other wikis very useful. When I first heard about this (learning 2.0) course, I was excited by the possibilities of developing a local studies wiki - where the public could find out about personalities, places, dates and events that are important to our local area. Having seen these other wikis, I feel I will be able to develop a better wiki for our area and ensure it has enough information and is easy to use!

Apart from a local studies wiki, I think libraries can benefit from an 'faq' wiki, a 'subject guide' wiki, and a 'reader's advisory' wiki ("who else writes like" etc).

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Hello Atticus,

You are doing GREAT, hopefully you will continue your learing trip and share some of you knowledge around. :-)

Oriana

Jenn Martin said...

NSW has a Readers Advisory Wiki, we are trying to improve our who writes like section at the moment.

You can check it out at: http://readersadvisory.wetpaint.com/

Marketing and Libraries Articles

My Research

 ProQuest ®


Research Summary - April 13, 2009

Marked Documents
Recent Searches

  • ((LSU({MARKETING}) AND LSU({LIBRARIES})))
    Database
    ProQuest Library Science
    Limit results to: full text, scholarly
    Look for terms in: Citation and abstract
    Publication type: Scholarly journals
      64 results as of April 13, 2009
  • (Marketing) AND (librar*) AND PDN(>4/13/2008)
    Database
    ProQuest Library Science
    Limit results to: full text, scholarly
    Look for terms in: Citation and abstract
    Publication type: Scholarly journals
      21 results as of April 13, 2009

Copyright © 2009 ProQuest LLC. All rights reserved.

CRM and Marketing Articles

My Research

 ProQuest ®


Research Summary - April 13, 2009

Marked Documents
Recent Searches

Copyright © 2009 ProQuest LLC. All rights reserved.

Dreaming 08 Video - Kathryn Cass

Dreaming 08 Video - Helen Kwaka

Dreaming 08 Video - Helen Livingstone