About Me

My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Library coordinator with an inner-west library who is passionate about information, research and public libraries.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Real benefits to RSS and newsreaders

I've been using RSS feeds since completing NSWnet training last year and I find them incredibly useful!

I have a Google reader account and (now) a bloglines account, but find the Google one more user friendly. What I found especially useful with my google reader, is that I've personalised my 'i-Google' page so that my RSS headlines are featured. This way I see what interesting posts have been made every time I go to use the Google search screen!

I've discovered some very interesting facts and useful information from RSS feeds that I know I wouldn't have discovered otherwise, as I don't have the time, nor frankly the inclination, to browse blogs all day to see what new things people have written (if any!).

Some of my favourite blogs and RSS feeds that I've subscribed to are:

I have also subscribed to some of my overseas or interstate friends' blogs so that I can keep in touch with what they're up to and see their latest photographs!

The main benefits to our workplace and ways libraries can utilise RSS technology that immediately come to mind are:
  • the ability to keep up with professional development by being aware of trends, thoughts, debates and news
  • the ability to inform members of our corporate library (i.e. Councillors and Council staff) of the latest releases, news, events, technology, debates etc in their field of expertise through RSS feeds we have subscribed to on their behalf
  • the ability to inform all our members about upcoming events at our library service points, as well as other library related information by encouraging them to subscribe to RSS feeds of our Blog

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for blogging about RSS feeds. I like them too. I'm a bloglines user, but after your comments I think I will have another look at Google Reader.
Kathleen A

Marketing and Libraries Articles

My Research

 ProQuest ®


Research Summary - April 13, 2009

Marked Documents
Recent Searches

  • ((LSU({MARKETING}) AND LSU({LIBRARIES})))
    Database
    ProQuest Library Science
    Limit results to: full text, scholarly
    Look for terms in: Citation and abstract
    Publication type: Scholarly journals
      64 results as of April 13, 2009
  • (Marketing) AND (librar*) AND PDN(>4/13/2008)
    Database
    ProQuest Library Science
    Limit results to: full text, scholarly
    Look for terms in: Citation and abstract
    Publication type: Scholarly journals
      21 results as of April 13, 2009

Copyright © 2009 ProQuest LLC. All rights reserved.

CRM and Marketing Articles

My Research

 ProQuest ®


Research Summary - April 13, 2009

Marked Documents
Recent Searches

Copyright © 2009 ProQuest LLC. All rights reserved.

Dreaming 08 Video - Kathryn Cass

Dreaming 08 Video - Helen Kwaka

Dreaming 08 Video - Helen Livingstone